Monday, February 2, 2009

Around town

So school has officially started up again and I am resisting as much as possible. I feel like I should just get a four month vacation while I explore wonderful Europe. Wouldn't that be great? If only... Although my silent protest against schoolwork will probably persist for a while longer, I have a feeling that the teachers here expect that type of response and understand one of the primary reasons for coming was to be exposed to the culture. Already I've had a couple assignments just to go check out buildings around town which either have some sort of significance to the project at hand or are places we will be studying. I want to get out and wander around the city but it's hard not to think 'oh I've got all semester'. Also the wind has been extra fierce lately and the chill outside is hard to face, so I do actually appreciate them requiring us to get out and about.
This weekend I had four different stops. I began at the Botanisk Have (botanical gardens) which was like this delicate oasis in the center of the city. It's only a couple blocks from Nørreport, the busiest station in København. Regardless of the closeness, the city just seems to disappear upon entering. I was completely mesmerized by the incredible layered landscaping that would unravel before you as you progressed through the property. It lead you through enticing pathways through wooded areas over hills and streams. Sounds almost like a fairy tale, and at the end it opens upon a towering castle! Well not quite a castle but the most exquisite green house I've ever seen. Further exploration revealed some perfectly placed accents throughout the site; strong timber trellises, detailed bridges, trickling waterfalls, and statues located just right not to detract from the landscape but definitely enhance the space. There was even this precious little family feeding some ducks on one of the partly frozen ponds. Although it's still winter this place is absolutely one of my new favorites. I can't wait to see it once everything begins to awaken in the spring. I've tried my darndest but I wish I could be more poetic describing the detail of this garden. I fear no words could ever fully capture the intense mystique of this natural solitude.
After my wonderful time in the garden I was about half frozen, so by the time I found the other buildings I did some brief inspections and decided I would have to return some other time for more detailed analysis. Actually all of the other buildings had been pointed out to me previously either on the scavenger hunt, or the tour I went on last weekend that taught me about what København was like while Hans Christian Andersen (famous tale writer ex:the little mermaid) and Kierkegaard (famous philosopher) grew up here. The walk was interesting and showed me a lot of the original history of the city. My favorite part was visiting a small little cafe that both danes could have frequented since it had been open since the 1800's! It was a very lavish little shop and the guide bought us all hot cocoa and a pieces of cake. These treats were probably some of the richest food I've ever tasted in my life. Now everyone who know's me, knows I never turn down sugar, but I couldn't even finish a little teacup of hot cocoa and half a piece of cake! It was definitely delicious but I recommend taking a friend to split everything with, you'll never get it all down yourself.
Sunday I went to have lunch with my visiting family again which was great. They had a smorgasbord of different toppings for little open-faced sandwiches they call Smørrebrød. I got to try rye bread and liver paste, two danish staples. I was a little weary about the liver paste after hearing some awful testimonies of first experiences from other Americans, but I actually didn't think it was too bad. I was expecting it to be this horribly potent stuff but it's not intolerable. I can't say I'll buy it next time I get grocery's but it's alright. After lunch Tove took me to Arken, a modern art museum near where they live. The building sits near the water and is this abstract depiction of a ship or ark. The simple lines and dynamic angles of the contemporary building were quite impressive, and the inside even felt as though you were below deck; very industrial cold materials. They had a wonderful impressionist exhibit that had just opened containing a bunch of great artists; Monet, Van Gogh, Pissarro, Renoir, etc. I am always so impressed with their delicate touches that can somehow portray so much depth and detail with a seemingly blurred technique. The blending and contrasting of color is incredible. I also quickly browsed through the permanent collection of modern art they had displayed. I have a lot of appreciation for all kinds of art and there were some great modern pieces there, but there were definitely many that I could not even understand. But I guess that's art.
Sorry again for no pics. Dad has already sent me some new memory cards for my camera since mine died and I'm gonna borrow one this weekend for our study trip to western Denmark. So no fear, I'll have pictures galore next time I post!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ally-
    Be sure to post some pics of the Botanisk Have if you get some, sounds beautiful!
    Take care,
    Uncle Kelly

    ReplyDelete